How to Self Online protection; Guideline To keep your Data Safe.: If you are not Businessman or politician, or not the big celebrity but your online data is not saved, because we are living in the digital world where we can get an update just couples of minutes.so it’s possible to steal your private data, pictures, videos, sensitive information.
In this day and age negligence in cyber security can have very dire consequences in the real world.This approach is a definite way of losing your important data or personal information.
How to Self Online protection ; Guideline To keep your Data Safe
So, we need to self-protection to protect our private & personal data for hack or leak.so we are going to share you some authentic facts using stay safe your online data from hacking, stealing, phishing from cyber Crimes.there is some point read and follow carefully as mension below.
Create Strong Password.(Self online protection)
Make sure that you have created strong passwords and if you are still using 123456 as a password then you are lucky still you are using your ID.because hackers always tried that’s password who usually use.
Characteristics of a strong password are (How to self online protection)
- Have 12 minimum characters,
- Includes Numbers, Symbols, Capital Letters, and Lower-Case Letters, is
- Not a dictionary word or combination of dictionary words
- Do not use common substitutions (like replacing letter O with zero).
There are two methods of creating strong and memorable passwords;
- Combine a personally memorable like “When I got my first pocket money, I was 11 years old” and create a password using initial letters wigmfp$iw11y0.
- Use a passphrase like combining four random words together to string up a totally incorrect statement like “TechVirgins”
- The Right password you should choose while creating password likes “TechVirgins!@1“
Beware of Phishing Messages (Self online protection)
Got an exciting new offer in your email or through instant messaging and social media which seems too good to be true? Spoiler Alert! It actually is because chances are it is just a phishing message. The most common medium for phishing is emails, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
The only way to stay safe online from phishing attempts is to be wary of the emails and links you receive and make sure they are from legitimate sources. Following are the signs you should look out for to identify phony email or website:
- The email urges you to click on a third party link (advice: move your mouse over the link to see the address it will take you to)
- The email wants you to download a file you were not expecting to receive
- Misspelled words or poor use of grammar in sentences
- Unnecessary styling like overuse of italics, bold, and CAPITAL LETTERS
- Sentences hardly ever make sense (How to self online protection)
Install a firewall (Self online protection)
A firewall’s presence is a must if you are serious about staying safe online. It protects anyone from breaking into your computer, different types of worms, viruses and any outgoing traffic that is originating from a virus infection. There are two kinds of firewalls; hardware, and software.
They are effective for online protection with little or no configuration, and also they can protect every machine on a local network.
Software firewalls, on the other hand, are installed on your computer, and you can customize it by as you can control its various function and protection features.
Create Two-factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication or Two-step verification makes it difficult for anyone to snoop around your online accounts or gain access to your online credentials. It adds a second level of authentication to an account login, where you cannot just access your account with username and password and can ensure that you’re safe online.
There are three types of Two-factor authentication that are used in combination with the traditional way of accessing account:
- A PIN number or password sent to your phone or created by a device
- A number like ATM card, phone or ZIP code
- Biometric identification through fingerprint or voice print.
Create Backup to protect information
Is your data backed up in several locations or are you also one of those people who cry after spilled milk? One of the biggest contingency plans in staying safe online is to backup all of your files whether it is your favorite playlist or critical work documents. Loss of data is not always due to hard drive failure; rather it can fall prey to user error, thieves, and even various types of nefarious malware.
Creating backup is very easy, just dump all your critical data on an external drive or use the backup option for your Windows or Mac,
though external drives are preferred. Also, always backup your data in more than one location so even if two places are compromised, you can still access it.
Are you sending an important email and fear that someone would snoop around your device and invade your privacy? Well with the current situation of cyberspace, don’t rule out this scenario. If you are sending a sensitive document or information through email, consider encrypting it before you press the send button.
There are many programs and tools now available like Thunderbird, eM Client, etc. that can encrypt webmail accounts such as Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo. Also if you really want to stay anonymous, you can try Guerilla Mail and Mailinator as they allow users to quickly send and receive anonymous mail with no implicating sign-up processes or content scanning but they would record your IP address.
Staying Safe while Shopping Online
Shopping online surely is convenient, but it can also open up doors to a number of online scams. Always keep the following points in mind to stay safe online while shopping:
- Never use a public wifi for online shopping
- Never buy from a site that doesn’t have SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption i.e. it starts with HTTPS:// (instead of just HTTP://)
- Make a habit of checking your credit/debit card statements
- Try safe payment options, or in Pakistan, you can opt for cash on delivery if you are not sure about a service
Watch Wi-Fi connectivity
(How to self online protection)
Your data or network can also be breached through your Wi-Fi connection but don’t panic as you can always take some security measures to ensure that you do not look like an idiot because of a security breach. Firstly, there is no excuse for not using a WPA2 encryption method as all modern clients support it.
Secondly, change your default passwords and also your SSID name as they can give away the nature and maker of the said router.